Monday, October 09, 2006

10:9/ 3. Busy Busy Busy

Monday night, Oct 9, 2006

Topics covered in my late night entry:
1) Website
2) General
3) Radio
4) Reviews
5) Issue Notes
6) Space/Ocean Headlines

Website

daily.greencine.com

A great place to read about film. Highly recommended.

2) General

I’ve been so busy today that I spared only 15 minutes (well, actually probably nearer 30) watching the first quarter of Monday Night Football before I decided I simply did not have time to watch it.

In addition to writing and publishing The Thunder Child, I also do freelance writing. I signed up a couple of days ago at a new website job service, bid on a couple of jobs, and was awarded one today - writing website content for a certain website. The whole thing is turning out to be a swizz, but it’s my fault for not setting down my terms more properly than anything else. I won’t go into details but I woefully underbid the job because I assumed from what they’d written that all I’d need to do was re-write what already existed. Instead, I’m having to do the research and write, not rewrite, and there’s other things I won’t go into.

Oh, well, educational experience. Good to have the bad one out of the way, in which you learn all the lessons at once. I’ll be smarter in future.

3) Radio
Lots of good stuff at BBC Radio 7 beginning on Monday (which is available on line now until next Saturday.)

2001 - A Space Odyssey
Millions of years ago on Earth, a strange transparent slab appears. Episode 1 of 10.

Brave New World
Anton Lesser reads Aldous Huxley's nightmare vision of the future. Meet the man who battery farms humans. Episode 1 of 10.

4) Reviews
Haven’t had time to do anything along these lines. However, got two new reviewers who will be giving me book reviews, so that takes some of the burden off!

5) Issue Notes
I’ve been working on putting together a page for each of my contributors, with hot links to each of their articles, so they can use the page as a resume of their work. Finally got all the pages ready to go.

Haven’t had a chance to work on anything else...but it’s okay because with some new contributors the November issue should be chock full of stuff.


6) Space/Ocean Headlines
Space
Through Saturn's Atmosphere – Science Daily (Oct 9)
Oct 10
Rotten egg' gas puts mice in suspended animation - New Scientist
Astronomers See Early Stages of Star Explosions' – Space.com
Star Trek' Starship Fetches Over $500,000 in Auction – Space.com
Cosmic rays could power icy moon's plumes - Daily Scientist
Hubble Zeroes In On Nearest Known Exoplanet, Confirms That Planets Form From Disks Around Stars – ScienceDaily
Nearest Planet Beyond Solar System Might Be Photogenic – Dailyspace.com

Oceanography
Fisheries Linked To Decline In Galapagos Waved Albatross Population – Science Daily

No comments: