Monday, October 09, 2006

10:9/ 2. This week's library books

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been to the library. Simply too much to do.

One project I'm working on is a complete chronological list of science fiction and fantasy books published in the US and England, and even Canada, if I can figure out how to get that info.

So I take my laptop to the library, and input in about 10 books a day into a database. (That's about all my attention span has time for.) Of course getting these titles is just the tip of the iceberg, as for every book of an author the library has, there's probably 5, 10 or more that the library doesn't have. So I'll be researching each individual author for their own works later on this process.

The time-consuming thing is of course that I want it in chronological order. I think it'll be interesting to see the trends of what was published in which decade, etc.

And I came away with 3 books which look pretty interesting and which based on the jacket flap I invite all sci fi fans to read also:

1) Gaudeamus by Jon Barnes
2) Lives of the Monster Dogs, by Kirsten Bakis
3) England, England, by Julian Barnes (not sure if this is going to be a fantasy or what. All of Britain's tourist attractions are rebuilt on a certain spot so tourists can go visit the England that was...supposed to be a comic novel.)

No comments: