Saturday, September 09, 2006

9/9: Pirates of the Caribbean II: Dead Man's Chest

Saturday is my movie- going day, and so today I finally got to see Pirates of the Caribbean II. And...it was okay. Not as light-hearted as the original...and of course if you hadn't seen the first you wouldn't really know what was going on with the second...

I disliked the cannibals scene which took up the first third of the movie..Davy Jones was extremely well done but why why why did he have to have such a thick Scottish accent? I thought of Sean Connery every time he spoke.

I did like the homage to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea's Captain Nemo - Davy Jones plays an organ...I loved the music again and will have to pick up the soundtrack for this...

Johnny Depp of course makes the film. Character-wise I was a bit disappointed that he actually was willing to sacrifice Will Turner to Davy Jones to save himself...the scene between Depp and Knightly at the end was pretty good... oooh, sexy!

And, of course, how can Captain Barbossa be alive now - when he was killed at the end of Pirates I? Certainly Barbossa was an integral part of the success of the first movie, but it just makes no sense to bring him back.

No comments: