Friday, September 29, 2006

9/29: 3. The Lobster Chronicles, by Linda Greenlaw

Friday night, Sept 29, 2006

Not much in the blog today, which I’m going to post early because I’m going to have to go to bed soon. I’ve had a dehibilitating headache for several hours and I simply can’t concentrate. So much for getting any work done today.

I have been reading - it’s easy to read fiction or non-fiction that I’m not trying to study... so I’ll just say that The Lobster Chronicles: Life on a Very Small Island, by Linda Greenlaw, is pretty good. I’m only a third of the way through it but she writes well and the story is interesting. Lobster fishermen on an island off the Maine coast trying to protect their coasts from rival lobstermen who’ve already overfished their own coasts.

I’ll try to stay awake for another hour, though I’d dearly love to go to bed. Unfortunately I’m a very light sleeper and so if someone downstairs chimes a spoon in an icecream dish at 9 o’clock I’ll hear it, wake up, and be wide awake for the rest of the night, headache or not....

Anyway, to my shock there were 2 oceanography headlines today.

Space
First female space tourist safely back on Earth – New Scientist
Fall Planet Guide: Saturn is Best Bet (Astronomy) - Space.com
Solar flares will disrupt GPS in 2011 – New Scientist
Space Weather Gear Readied For The Final Frontier - Science Daily
13th ISS crew arrives in Moscow Region for recuperation – RIA Novosti
British man to use frequent-flyer miles for trip to space – International Herald Tribune
Russia to start training two Malaysians for space mission – Monsters and Critics.com
Space Elevator: Hoist to the Heavens – Space.com
Possible December Night Launch for Shuttle Discovery – Space.com
Starchaser Racing Virgin to Space – Space.com
New Mars Craft Sends Back First Detailed Images – Space.com
Main Camera on Aging Hubble Shuts Down – Space.com
Weather satellites and Moon ship spark budget concerns -- New Scientist
Space triumph prompts new line in underwear - IC Wales

Oceanography

Scientist's Persistence Sheds Light On Marine Science Riddle - Science Daily
Mercury Compound Found In Fish Damages Pancreatic Cells – Science Daily

Environment
Mega-mountains spurred explosive evolution – New Scientist

No comments: