Wednesday, September 27, 2006

9:/27: Kreating Karloff

Wednesday night, Sept 27, 2006

Topics covered in my late night entry:
1) Website
2) General
3) Radio
4) Reviews
5) Issue Notes
6) Space/Ocean Headlines
7) Quiz

1) Website

Want to learn how to write science fiction? Let *the* Hugo Gernsback tell you how:
http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/documents/gernsbac.htm

2) General
Terrell Owens denies trying to commit suicide. One hopes its true, but one doubts it. My feeling of this morning is still the same. Media - forget the feeding frenzies - leave the man alone. Leave everyone alone! They’re just men playing games for goodness sake. They make too much money, which most of ‘em don’t seem to know what to do with, and quite a few of ‘em needed to have some discipline in their lives as young kids...

And, go Twins! Go Vikings!

3) Radio
No sci fi til this weekend, but Sat and Sun eps at BBC 7 (Journey into Space, Doctor Who) still online.

4) Reviews
Watching Kreating Karloff. The “take charge” side of me is in such a quandary. I would have done things soooo differently. We’re starting out with the ‘making’ of the screentest. I don’t want to see that right now. Show me the Frankenstein and Mummy footage, let me see the actor do his thing, *then* show and tell me how it was done. I’m impatient to get to that, yet I have to sit through this. Which isn’t to say that the making of stuff isn’t good - it is, but I'm just annoyed that I haven’t seen the other stuff first...

5) Issue Notes
Four more days til the end of the month and I’m feeling relaxed, since all the hard stuff is done. Everything I do now is just gravy, and I’ll have at least two articles to add to a stockpile for the Nov issue. (The History of Fandom as told by Sam Moskowitz is going into the Nov issue.)

6) Space/Ocean Headlines
Space

Project Orion: NASA's Next Spaceship Takes Shape – Space.com
UP Aerospace to Retrieve Rocket After Failed Launch – Space.com
Pluto-bound Probe Snaps Photo of Jupiter – Space.com
Hubble's key camera shuts down again – New Scientist
Massive Star Formation Relies on Cosmic Doughnuts – Space.com
NASA Mars Rover Arrives At Dramatic Vista On Red Planet – Science Daily
Aboard ISS: Crew Swap Goes Well, Space Tourist Prepares for Return – Space.com
Mars Rover Sends First Photo of Victoria Crater – Space.com

7. Quiz
In how many horror films did Boris Karloff star, out of how many films in his career?

No comments: