Sunday, February 14, 2010

Why Can't Olympic Ice Skating Announcers Ever Be Quiet?

I know announcers are paid to talk. And for football, basketball, and sports like that, it doesn't matter if they natter on from now until the cows come home.

But when it comes to Olympic ice skating, whether it be pairs or dancing, or even singles, why destroy the ambience by chattering throughout the routine? I want to watch the performance and listen to the music, and the chatter takes me right out of it. After the performance, they always show highlights, so why not describe a move or commiserate over a fault then?

And shut up at all other times.

I remember many, many years ago, when Torvill and Dean did Bolero, it was reshown that night, with no announcing, so people could just enjoy it. They should have continued that tradition. (As an aside, truth to tell, though I loved their Paso Doble that year, I preferred Blomberg and Siebert's Scheherezade to their Bolero....)

No comments: