Tuesday, March 25, 2008

David Wayne sings Revenge from It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman

I was surprised to see that there were actually a few clips at YouTube featuring the 1975 TV version of the 1966 stage musical, It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman.

However, none of them featured the man who was, to my mind, the only reason to watch that show, David Wayne as the mad scientist, Abner Sedgewick, driven mad because he lost out on the Nobel Prize 10 times.

The line that isn't in the clip below, but which is my favorite, is "Together, Max, we'll rule the world. But Sweden's mine!"



As far as a review of this show... I can remember seeing it when I was a kid, in 1975, and liking it. Rewatching it last year...I was just cringing. It was a forerunner of the superhero movies of the 90s, where the hero - in this case Superman - was reduced to the background and the villains had center stage. In this case, David Wayne's villain was charming, but Clark Kent/Superman was just too much of a wimp for my taste.

No comments: