Monday, May 04, 2009

Young Star Trek

The first Star Trek TV series was of course constrained by the special effects capabilties of the 1960s.

Nevertheless, it really irritates the heck out of me to see Star Trek shows that are supposed to occur before the events in Star Trek, have better technology than Star Trek had. I'm not talking about the special effects, I'm talking about the actual technology used.

To that end, nothing in this first Star Trek movie (let alone in Enterprise) should look technologically more advanced than the first Star Trek!

I was really disappointed with Enterprise in that regard. Spock was the very first Vulcan on a starship, so where the heck did that female Vulcan come in? (And although I liked Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap, didn't care for him as Archer.)

How did the Federation actually come about - that's a movie I'd like to see. I mean, does it look like a space federation will ever come about, based on what's happening with our space program today? I don't think so - the only ones actually going to do anything in space are the Chinese!

No comments: