Saturday, November 11, 2006

Beta Blogger - horror story

I wanted to start a new political issues blog, and because it's a blog about political issues I wanted to change my photo to something other than the GG that is now ghost guns. So I decided to create a new account. And if you create a new account, you don't get to go to Blogger, you're taken to their Beta Blogger.

And it sucks, big time.

They treat people like idiots. They have all these "elements" that you can arrange on your new template. And they're boxes which you can cut and paste, I guess because most people don't want to learn Html to do their own additions, modifications, etc.

Well, I know html, so I went into the template to add a counter for my new blog, and it won't let me. I don't have the time or inclination to find out why.

Basically what they've done is make is sssssssssso simple that people who don't know what they're doing can do things - but won't be able to modify what they do afterwards and will never understand what they've done. It's idiotic and as you can tell, I'm kind of annoyed.

The main thing that has me angry is that apparently, pretty soon ALL blogs will be migrated over to the new system whether they want to be or not. And since the new feauturs suck 90% of the people at Blogger Help forums are screaming about it, but of course you can't email anyone directly, and no one from Blogger looks at these complaints, obviously...

Of course it's a free service so who am I to complain, eh. If I don't have to pay for it I don't have the right to complain, I suppose, except that it's just symptomatic with what's wrong with the computer world today. There's all these programmers out there who have to earn their salaries by breaking things that weren't broken to begin with, and no one talks to the people who actually *use* the things....;

No comments: