Monday, March 09, 2009

Thinking of taking fish oil capsules as a supplement?

In a health related post, I share with you an email my sister sent:

I have been feeling ill all week due to an overdose of fish oil.

To make a long story short, I read a book called "A Magnificent Mind at Any Age". It is very interesting and the doctor recommends taking a fish oil supplement to maintain a healthy mind. Fish oil is supposed to be good for you because it contains Omega three fatty acids.

Well I went to GNC and talked to the clerk about fish oil capsules. They recommend you take a 300 milligram fish oil supplement three times a day or one 900 milligram fish oil supplement once a day. I bought the 900 milligram capsules. I took one capsule Tuesday morning and almost immediately became queasy and felt queasy on and off all week until yesterday. So queasy (on the verge of throwing up) that all I wanted to do was lay on the couch for long stretches at a time and not move.

Using online research I found out there are side affects to the supplements - fish breath, queasiness and diaria being just a few, and that it takes time for your body to get used to taking fish oil supplements and you should start out with a low dose. The clerk didn't mention any of this when I bought the stuff.

Also I learned that you can get Omega three fatty acids from eating walnuts, pecans and kiwifruit , as well as Salmon and Albacore tuna. Husband and I already eat Salmon occasionally, and Son likes tuna fish sandwiches and tuna casserole. - so I have decided forget about the fish oil supplements but to just eat more salmon, tuna, kiwi and pecans.

No comments: