Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Delicious Death Society

Introducing The Delicious Death Society (also known as The Friends of Mr. Cairo).

Many years ago, when Geocities was Geocities, and free, I put together a website called The Friends of Mr. Cairo. Then, Geocities sold out to Yahoo, and all of a sudden advertisements appeared on the site. That was okay, they had to make some money off their free sites, and the first ads were unobtrustive pop-ups that appeared in one corner and then disappeared, never to return. But after a few months, the ads became more obtrusive. They occuppied the entire right side of hte page, and even when you "closed" it, there was always a section of it there, right beside the up-down scroll bar, such that if you moved your mouse over it in order to scroll up or down, the ad would reappear, and you'd have to close it again.

That really annoyed me. I felt like I was being blackmailed into buying their "no-ad" service, by being forced to have ads on the site that were soooo obnoxious that no one would want to have anything to do with the site.

So, I gave up on the site.

Now, however, I have my own domain, etc. etc. and decided that I'd move over the complete website, so that at last I could get some benefit out of it.

So.... originally it was called The Friends of Mr. Cairo, and actually only a few of the sections are active, but I'll be working on it from now on and get it up to snuff.

So, please check it out.

No comments: