Monday, August 23, 2010

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (James Mason)

Wandered through my local Walmart today,and saw that they'd moved some Disney DVDs to the front of the store and were only charging $6 for them, so I picked up James Mason's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Hayley Mills' In Search of the Castaways.

I'll be sharing screencaps in due course.

20,000 Leagues has always had a bittersweet place in my heart. I saw it when I was about 13 or 14 years old or so, decades afer it was made. It was in a real theater - back then films were re-released to movie theaters, rather than on to TV..and I thought it was a first run movie and I got such a crush on James Mason.

So, a year later, 11 Harrowhouse comes out, and I see by the poster that it has James Mason in it...so I went to see it and got the shock of my life. He was so old! How could he have aged 20 years in 1 year...old and balding and plump...I was just stunned.

Of course he still had that magnificent voice.

But it does make me think every now and then...thank heavens for movies and TV. If all the world had to remember actors by was the theatre... well, they wouldn't be remembered.

No comments: