Thursday, April 23, 2009

Say goodbye to Geocities...

I was with Geocities from the very beginning...back when, when you signed up you could choose your neighborhood, from Hollywood to Paris to New York City, etc., and then they were bought out by Yahoo, and now the free service is coming to an end.

I have a pay service there now, as well as 5 or 6 free sites. I confess I had stopped using my free sites a long time ago, as they put ads on them that were pretty obtrusive, but still, I'd better go in now and download all my data.

Meantime, they don't make it clear but it *seems* that the Yahoo Webhosting Services - the one you have to pay for - is going to remain, which is a good thing because I've got a lot of stuff there, too...

This comes on the heels of AOL, just a few months ago, discontinuing *their* service with no warning at all. Lots of people lost websites to that!

I guess the era of companies being able to make money on free website hosting is gone... I wonder if they're paving the way for taxation of websites?

No comments: