Sunday, June 09, 2013

It's time to SEO The Thunder Child

My sf & f webzine, The Thunder Child, has been languishing in readership for about a year.

I haven't had time to do anything about it, let alone find out *what* to do about it, until I heard all the brouhaha about Google's Penguin 2.0 update from a couple of weeks ago.

That brought the subject back to my mind and I figured I'd better start taking some active steps to get The Thunder Child (the name of the ironclad ram that sacrificed itself to rescue some refugees from the Martians in HG Wells' War of the Worlds, for anybody who does not immediately recognize the reference!) back on top of Google.

So I was browsing Amazon and came across M.R. Vullhorst's book, On Page SEO. I figured I'd better get my site up to snuff before I do anything else. So, I bought it. And I thought it was pretty good. Brought home to me what I'd suspected - it doesn't matter how much content you've got on your site, if you're not always adding new stuff, search engines tend to penalize you.

(On that note, stay tuned for a new article from Steve Vertlieb on his friendship with the late, great Ray Harryhausen, which will be available later tonight.)

Anyway, if you've got a website, check out On Page SEO (from 0 to Page 1). (Oh, should I say I was influenced in my purchase by that cool cover? I love cherry red Ferraris!)


No comments: