Monday, November 07, 2011

What is this love affair with the Lion King?

I have to admit I have never understood why The Lion King is so popular.

I didn't like it when I first saw it and I really don't care to see it again.

Why.

Well...in one sense it was true to nature. Male lions lie around all day and sleep, female lions are the ones that go out and hunt and kill - then the male lion struts up and eats his fill, then the females and cubs get to eat what's left.

Well, that's nature. Can't blame animals for acting according to instinct.

But in the movie, all the animals were intelligent - anthropomorphized. Humanized. So we get the male lion who gets to be in charge - not just of the pride of lions but also the entire plains of Africa! And when Scar proves to be a total loser, the female lions don't kick him out themselves, the female lion goes in search of "the lion king" her old boyfriend, to rescue the pride and the animals.

Just grated on my nerves!

No comments: