Thursday, August 09, 2007

Lava!

I was listening to Colin Cowherd in the Herd this morning as I drove to the store. Not quite sure if that's how his name is spelled but, close enough. It's a sports show. I may, or may not, have commented about him before...his delivery really gets on my nerves, because he'll say his main topic point - and then he'll illustrate it with a few examples. And in five minutes he's covered it all and could move on. But he does not move on. He reiterates his topic point, and then he repeats his examples, maybe throwing in a new one if the listener is lucky. Another 5-10 minutes gone. And then he does it again! And by this time I'm screaming at the radio - yes, I get it, I got it ten minutes ago, move on!

I discovered recently he's not the only radio sports guy who does this though. I think it was two evenings ago, when Barry Bonds* broke the home run record, that some guy was talking about it, mentioned it was the greatest sports moment he'd ever see and it could never happen again, and then he too spent 30 minutes repeating himself over and over and over again.

But that's not the purpose of this entry, I just felt like venting about it.

Today, on the Herd, Colin had someone else with him, whose name I didn't catch. Colin commented that there had been an earthquake in Los Angeles last night, and that it had registered at 4.5 or so on the Richter Scale. And this other guy had said that's why he'd never live in LA, he didn't want to see lava coming up from an earthquake.

And Colin razzed him, since "there's no lava in LA."

This is because, when you get earthquakes, you only get a lot of destructions of any buildings having been constructed, and perhaps a lot of steam from broken underground pipes in the area, but *usually* nothing else, because earthquakes on the east coast of the US are caused by shifting tectonic plates.

Lava, on the other hand, comes from volcanoes, which are nothing more than pipelines to the molten magma beneath the surface of the earth. And while seismic quakes are thought to signify the possibility of a volcanic eruption...it's not quite the same thing as what this guy seemed to think.

This guy surely must have had a college education, or at least he spoke as if he'd had an education (it's quite possible to be well-educated without ever having gone to college, as I am here to tell you), and yet he didn't know this fact.

Are the disaster movies to blame? Wasn't there a movie called Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones that took place in LA? (I confess I never saw it...I'm not in to disaster movies...)

It'd be interesting for someone to do a poll...who in LA thinks that if "the big one" comes and all of California slides off into the sea, lava will come pouring out of the drastic earth wounds that would result?

No comments: